When running low on creativity or high on ‘Inspiration’, every movie industry relies on the safe card of remakes. Since the movies are already successful in another language, the producers consider them to be less risky and profitable. That is probably why, since ‘Ramudu Bheemudu’ was remade into “Ram Aur Shyam” to today, movies are being remade from one language to the other. Especially Hindi movies of late! They have been remaking Telugu and Tamil films and making 100s of crores off them! Bollywood in their efforts to remake successful movies have screwed up a few of them. Let’s find out the Top 9 South Remakes in Bollywood that Flopped and You didn’t Know.
Top 9 South Remakes in Bollywood that Flopped
1) ‘Tevar’ from ‘Okkadu’ Mahesh Babu starrer 2003 ‘Okkadu’ was a big hit back then. The movie that had a new kind of story, good action, and directed by Gunasekhar was remade and released this year as ‘Tevar’ with Arjun Kapoor being the lead actor. But because the movie was screwed up in the process of the remake, it ended up bombing at the box office.
2) ‘Jai Ho’ from ‘Stalin’ Salman Khan these days has been creating box office blockbusters through Telugu remakes. In spite of earning success through the remake of ‘Pokiri’ as ‘Wanted’, ‘Ready’ and ‘Kick’, with the remake of 2006 Chiranjeevi starrer ‘Stalin’ as ‘Jai Ho’ in 2014, he realized that not all Telugu movies suit Hindi audience.
3) ‘Sunday’ from ‘Anukokunda Oka Roju’ Produced by ‘Amrutham’ TV Serial’s production house ‘Just Yellow Media’, ‘Anukokunda Oka Roju’ is a cult classic. The movie that starred Charmee in the lead role was far from a typical Telugu movie and has a very interesting story. But the same movie when remade in Hindi as ‘Sunday’ starring Ayesha Takia, ended up being a flop!
4) ‘Ek: The Power of one’ from ‘Athadu’ This is the second Mahesh babu movie on this list. The movie that was directed by Trivikram Srinivas was remade into Hindi as “Ek: The Power Of One”, starring Bobby Deol. Maybe because it was named like a Telugu movie dubbed into Hindi, or maybe because it was badly made overall, the Hindi audience never got to know when the movie made it to the theaters and when it left.
5) ‘Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai’ from ‘Tholi Prema’ 1998 released ‘Tholi Prema’ is a movie that brought Pawan Kalyan closer to stardom. Even today, it is one of the top Telugu romantic movies. What happens when such a movie is remade as ‘Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai’ with Tushar Kapoor debuting? Well, it gets into the list of South Remakes in Bollywood that Flopped.
6) ‘Son of Sardaar’ from ‘Maryaada Ramanna’ Rajamouli directed 2010 Comedy-Thriller ‘Maryaada Ramanna’ was remade in Hindi as ‘Son Of Sardaar’ with Ajay Devgn as the lead actor. Though producers declared the movie as a hit, anyone who has seen the Telugu one will have to agree that they screwed it up.
7) ‘Anjaana Anjaani’ from ‘Itlu Shravani Subramanyam’ ‘Itlu Shravani Subramanyam’ is one of Puri Jagannad’s classic movies. The movie that starred Ravi Teja as the lead actor was a hit in Telugu. The same movie when remade in Hindi as ‘Anjaana Anjaani’ With Ranbir Kapoor as the hero, flopped.
8) ‘Ramaiya Vastavaiya’ from ‘Nuvvostanante Nenodantaana’ Prabhu Deva directed ‘Nuvvostanante Nenodantaana’ of 2005 was a hit movie. But the same Prabhu Deva, in 2013 remade the movie with Girish Kumar and Shruti Hassan as’ Ramaiya Vastavaiya’ which bombed!
9) ‘Main Tera Hero’ from ‘Kandireega’ 2011 ‘Kandireega’ movie which starred ram as the lead actor, was remade in Hindi as ‘Main Tere Hero’ with Varun Dhavan and Ileana as lead actors. Since the movie is on this list of South Remakes in Bollywood that Flopped, We don’t need to tell you what happened to it!
Also Read: 6 Best Meme Pages on Instagram